2016 Bluffs Jazz Festival!
Please consider this as an invitation to participate in the 2018 Bluffs Jazz Festival to be held on Saturday, January 12, 2016. This is an early festival, making it a great primer for state and district competitions! The site is Abraham Lincoln High School in Council Bluffs, Iowa. Last year we had bands participating with two contest centers. If time allows, we will continue with brief on-stage clinic sessions with our adjudicators.
We hope all of you can return for this contest again this year. Entry fee is 150.00 per group and the deadline is December 10, 2018. We have extended the music performance time limit to 20 minutes. All judges’ comments will be recorded digitally!
1. Soloist award certificates for those solos that judges deem outstanding.
2. Five trophy places in each classification. Participation plaques for each band.
3. Overall outstanding solo performance medals in each classification.
4. Division I rating plaques for division I bands.
5. Winners may use this contest as qualifying points for the Iowa Jazz Championships in April.
Three bands must be registered in each class in order for the IJC committee to consider placing points.
25 minute schedules, time limit for music performance is 20 minutes.
Performing past the whistle will result in disqualification from the competition.
Each band must play a swing tune and a ballad. Failure to do this will result in a one place penalty. Other tunes can be of your choosing.
A P.A. system with 5 microphones will be furnished for your use.
A grand piano and power strip will be furnished for your use. You must furnish all other rhythm section instruments.
All bands must use the trumpet and trombone risers and set up with the band on the rhythm section’s left side.